Thursday, October 2, 2008

An Adelaidean Adventure (or two)

It's not much... But hope it encourages some people? :)

The Hopefuls have been gathering faithfully every Friday over the last few weeks for some Street Evangelism in the city. It has been a great blessing, especially when we meet back and hear the stories people share about the opportunities they had to talk with people and share the Gospel or defend the faith, sometimes a single conversation with a non-Christian could last for over half and hour! Praise the Lord!

Last week, we had the smallest numbers yet, an army of four. Undaunted, we prayed and set out to do God's work. At first we split up and went our separate ways, giving tracts to people and sharing the Gospel, but somehow, we all ended up meeting together in the same place. Without much discussion, we stood together outside Adelaide Uni and started to hand out tracts. We gave out tracts as often as people walked by, one by one, the people on that path were TRACTED. What was incredible was how receptive and appreciative the people were to receive the tracts, "Oh, sure. Thanks for that!" was a very common answer. Soon, the number of tracts in our hands dwindled, we had only a few left, it was then we realised in the short hour and a bit, the four of us had given out about 70 tracts! That means, by God's grace, 70 souls have been reached! It was unbelievably awesome! Now, we know that it's not about the quantity, but by the enthusiastic response from the tractees and the sheer volume of tracts given out, we were very much encouraged and the words "Thank you, Lord" could not depart from our lips. "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." Zech 4:6b

On Sunday, we organised a Street E in the suburb around Church. A group went to a nearby shopping centre and started to distribute tracts and our panel discussion flyers there. That evening, I was in church doing some work and I heard the doorbell ring, not giving much thought to who it could be, I bounded down the stairs to open the door. A lady was standing outside and I was a little puzzled, she started to talk to me and said, "Hello, I am here for the lecture." I had no idea who she was or what she was talking about, then I looked down at her hands and she was holding the panel discussion flyer! Wow. A brother in Christ and I started to talk to her and found out it was only her third day in Adelaide (which explained the accent), and she was very interested in coming to listen to the panel discussion, so enthusiastic that she had come five days too early! She even had a street directory in her hand so that she could find our church. Amazing? I think so! God had brought her from wherever she had come from (I didn't get to ask her), and moved in her heart to come to our church, seeking God even in a strange and foreign country. "I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high." Psalm 7:17

All in all, I believe that 30in30 has been a blessing to many of the YAFers who have participated. Through the testimonies shared, the experience gained and the lessons learnt, our hearts and souls have been uplifted, may we all go away with the realisation of how important and needful it is to share the Gospel with those who do not yet know our great and mighty God. YAFers, give thanks unto the Lord for all He has done, pray for all the people who have received the tracts, especially for the lady who wants to come for the panel discussion, pray also for ourselves and let this truly be our heart's desire, "And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel," Ephesians 6:19
Thanks and God bless!!


--
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Psalm 62:5-8

No comments: