Monday, November 1, 2010

What Christians should do about Halloween

Last night, I had a thought to go jogging which normally doesn't happen. I jogged around the neighbourhood and noticed a lot of kids walking around, some with their parents. Then I remembered that it was Halloween. I went into the usual Christian lament about the trick or treat tradition that glorifies the dark side but then I had one thought come to mind. Maybe I should go back home to get some tracts and go for another lap. If God were to bring me to some kids trick or treating on the second lap, then I would give it to them.

After some time more of jogging I decided I would go home and get the tracts. As I started to jog, I prayed for more courage. This prayer was repeated when I noticed a group of three kids walking around. I had five tracts so I started heading in their direction. They were about to walk into the driveway of a house, when I appeared. "I've got something for you guys" and started handing them a tract each. I noticed the mother was with them and she said "what do you say?" prompting the kids to say thank you. I was quite pleasantly surprised by her support and before I left, I said "hope it scares the hell out of you". One of the kids said "its a comic book!" and I found myself leaping for joy in my heart as I ran off from there! More ideas for next year's Halloween counter-attack sprung to mind as I headed home with my fear turning to adrenaline as I ran.

No comments: